Here are questions for an informational interview to learn about the person and their career:
- How did you get into this career field / position / company?
- What did you do before you entered this field?
- What was your career path to reach your current position?
- What is your current title?
- What do you do in your current job?
- What is a normal day like?
- What are your responsibilities? What percentage of time do you spend on each of these?
- What skills do I need most to be successful in this position / career?
- What types of problems do you deal with?
- What types of decisions do you make?
- How much of your time do you spend on (fill in the blank with the information you want)?
- What do you like and dislike about your job?
- How’s this job / career different from what you expected?
- What are some of the most interesting projects you have worked on?
- What are the most challenging aspects of your job?
- What are the most frustrating aspects of your job?
- What aspects of your job are routine / repetitive?
- Is the work environment competitive? Cooperative? How so?
- How much interaction do you have with clients, colleagues, supervisor, staff?
- How much time do you work alone? In teams?
- What other social or networking responsibilities are part of this field?
- How is your work important to your department / company?
- How much job security does this type of position have?
- What hours do you typically work? Do you need to work at night? On weekends? At home?
- What are the keys to your success in this field?
For 100 more questions for informational interviews, see the article Great Questions to Ask at an Informational Interview
Use LinkedIn To Find People Who Can Give You the Career Assistance You Want
Making the Informational Interview Successful 100 Percent of the Time
Keep In Touch for More Success
Sample Informational Interview Thank You Notes
Please share this to support your network's career success