When talking to people in an informational interview who could hire you, here are the great questions to ask:
- What are the qualities and skills of the people who have been most successful in this department / company?
- How does your company evaluate job performance?
- When you choose people to be on your team, what skills and characteristics are important to you?
- What are the most important short-term goals for this company / department?
- What are the company’s / department’s most important long-term goals?
- What is currently the greatest opportunity for you and your department / company?
- What kinds of challenges are you currently facing in your department / company? What would solve this problem?
- In what areas do you see the department / company expanding? Why?
- In what areas is this company / department adding new products or services?
- In what areas do you think this department / company could use more staff? Why?
- If your company had unlimited resources, in what areas do you think new positions should be created? Why?
- If you had the funding to hire someone, what tasks would you give them?
- Is your department / company likely to have future job openings?
For 100 more great informational interview questions, see the article Great Questions to Ask at an Informational Interview
Use LinkedIn To Find People Who Can Give You the Career Assistance You Want
Making the Informational Interview Successful 100 Percent of the Time
Keep In Touch for More Success
Sample Informational Interview Thank You Notes
Please share this to support your network's career success