Here are questions that you can ask during an informational interview to learn about how you can make a career transition:
- Based on my current job and work experience, how easy or difficult do you think it would be for me to transition to this position / industry / company?
- Based on my background, what type of position could I land in this field?
- What sacrifices might I need to make to transition to this field?
- Do you know anyone who has made a career transition to this field? How did they make the transition?
- If you were me, how would you go about getting into this position / industry / company?
- Based on what you have learned about me, what skills do I have that can be used in / transferred to this profession / career field / company?
- What would be the biggest obstacles to making this transition?
- What other challenges might I face getting into this position / industry / company?
- How am I better / differently qualified than a typical candidate?
- What aspects of my background would be helpful to transitioning to this position / industry / company?
- What would I need to do to become a more attractive candidate for a job in this profession / industry / company?
- What type of paid or volunteer experience could I get to make my transition easier? What’s the best way to get that experience?
- What would be the best training / education for me to get to support my transition?
- Would you be willing to look to give me some quick feedback on ways I can better tailor my resume to make this career transition?
- Are their any other careers that you think would be a good fit for my qualifications and background?
For 100 more questions to ask at an informational interview, see the article Great Questions to Ask at an Informational Interview