Here are the questions to ask in an informational interview about how you can make a career transition:
- Based on my current job and work experience, how easy or difficult do you think it would be for me to transition to this position / industry / company?
- Based on my background, what type of positions could I land in this field?
- What sacrifices might I need to make to transition to this field?
- Do you know anyone who has made a career transition to this field? How did they make the transition?
- If you were me, how would you go about getting into this position / industry / company?
- Based on what you have learned about me, what skills do I have that can be used in / transferred to this profession / career field / company?
- What would be the biggest obstacles to making this transition?
- What other challenges might I face getting into this position / industry / company?
- How am I better / differently qualified than a typical candidate?
- What aspects of my background would be helpful to transitioning to this position / industry / company?
- What would I need to do to become a more attractive candidate for a job in this profession / industry / company?
- What type of paid or volunteer experience could I get to make my transition easier? What’s the best way to get that experience?
- What would be the best training / education for me to get to support my transition?
- Would you be willing to give me some quick feedback on ways I can better tailor my resume to make this career transition?
- Are there any other careers that you think would be a good fit for my qualifications and background?
For 100 more questions to ask in an informational interview, see the article Great Questions to Ask at an Informational Interview
Use LinkedIn To Find People Who Can Give You the Career Assistance You Want
Making the Informational Interview Successful 100 Percent of the Time
Keep in Touch for More Success
Sample Informational Interview Thank You Notes
Please share this to support your network's career success