When talking to people in an informational interview who could hire you, here are the great questions to ask:
- What are the qualities and skills of the people who have been most successful in this department / company?
- How does your company evaluate job performance?
- When you choose people to be on your team, what skills and characteristics are important to you?
- What are the most important short-term goals for this company / department?
- What are the company’s / department’s most important long-term goals?
- What is currently the greatest opportunity for you and your department / company?
- What kinds of challenges are you currently facing in your department / company? What would solve this problem?
- In what areas do you see the department / company expanding? Why?
- In what areas is this company / department adding new products or services?
- In what areas do you think this department / company could use more staff? Why?
- If your company had unlimited resources, in what areas do you think new positions should be created? Why?
- If you had the funding to hire someone, what tasks would you give them?
- Is your department / company likely to have future job openings?
For 100 more great informational interview questions, see the article Great Questions to Ask at an Informational Interview